Monday, June 26, 2006

Friday, June 23, 2006

I got to "play" with Abacus Gold today, and I'm impressed. Although there is ample documentation provided out of the box, I was able to install and run the software myself (no consultants needed) without spending hours reading first.

Abacus has an estate planning module, which I didn't buy but am now considering very seriously. I'm fairly happy with my existing trust software, but the upside to switching is the elimination of double-entering client data (once in Abacus and then a second time in my trust software). I'm thinking there may be a way to connect my trust app - which is based on HotDocs - to the Abacus database, but if I wanted to spend that much time hacking databases I would have stayed in IT.

2 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Blogger projectsolo said...

Hi Brandon,

Can you give a few more details on your trust software, I am thinking about investing in a package at some point in the future. Did you buy HotDocs and simply build your own forms or is their a separate trusts module? Did you consider other packages?

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Brandon Wilson said...

I use Fore! Trust Software to draft my docs. Fore! is built on HotDocs. You can download a 30-day trial version from the website. The software was very easy to learn and use, and I have had almost no problems with it. I did shop other titles (see my post on that topic here but chose Fore! based on ease of use and affordability.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home