Monday, June 19, 2006

Friday, June 16, 2006

I politely declined the paralegal job interview today. After talking with the supervising counsel, it turns out my instincts are correct and there is no career path from paralegal to corporate attorney.

This job came to my attention courtesy of an aunt on my mom's side of the family. I was hoping to use a little nepotism to overcome the disadvantage of not attending an ABA school, but things didn't work out the way I hoped. Afterward, I sent my aunt an email thanking her for the introduction and letting her know I wouldn't be the latest member of the family working for her company. She responded with a nice note that read:

Hopefully…you won’t need to work for [our company] (or anyone else) because your
own business will be more than enough to keep you busy and pay the bills!

Always nice to get a little encouragement here and there. It was definitely a big boost after yesterday's sudden panic attack.

Oh, and speaking of yesterday's activities - all those government jobs I was looking at require graduation from an ABA school. It's almost like some kind of conspiracy to keep tuition dollars flowing to ABA institutions. Wonder if I could make a name for myself by filing a class action lawsuit on behalf of all the qualified attorneys who attended state bar or other unaccredited schools but don't qualify for federal employment?

FYI, I was notified by Ian Best that this blog has been included in his Taxonomy of Legal Blogs. (I checked and I am listed under the heading "Advice for Lawyers and Law Firms", in case you are interested.) Thanks to Mr. Best for including me, and I wouldn't be a good neighbor if I didn't encourage you to check out his blog 3L Epiphany and wish Mr. Best much luck in his studies for the July Bar Exam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home