Friday, June 16, 2006

Thursday, June 15, 2006

I shared earlier that I am not a solo by choice - I have always preferred the relative security of a regular paycheck and paid benefits. As time passed, and the rejection letters piled up, I became more comfortable with the idea of being my own boss...but I admit that every now and then a little shadow of doubt has crept in. Today's tiny cloud was courtesy of a conversation where somebody told me something I have heard repeatedly since I announced I was going solo: that solo practice was hard, and I may not be sane for choosing this career.
Most times that just rolls off me like water off a duck's back. If I'm feeling confident, I even take it as a little compliment - "I admire you for taking a risk." Today I panicked (just a little) and immediately ran to a computer to log on to USAJOBS and apply for any and every government job I could find. When I started to apply for jobs that required firearm training, I realized things had gone far enough.

Ironically, less than an hour later I got a phone call from someone wanting to set up a job interview. By this point I was so used to the polite rejection letters that receiving an actual phone call with a live person at the other end who wanted to talk to me was a bit of a shock. Unfortunately it turned out the job was a paralegal position with no possibility of growth, so I had to turn the offer down.

When I got home and calmed down I finally had a few minutes free to install the new practice management software I bought: AbacusLaw Gold. After installing I had to get back to work on the house, so I haven't had a chance to play around yet, but it looks pretty straightforward, much more so than some of its competitors. I installed evaluation versions of a few other suites and some are extremely difficult to figure out - and I have an extensive technical background.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home