Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Monday, June 12, 2006

I got another client today, and what makes this notable is she was referred to me by an existing client...my first referral! Hopefully the first of many.

This whole "mild mannered bank employee by day, lawyer by night" scenario can't end soon enough for me. I'm not devoting much time to the actual practice of law right now, but I spend a lot of time on business planning and selling our house. I'd guess I'm working at least 80 hours a week (and my wife is, too), so I look forward to getting back the 40+ hours a week I currently spend on my day job. Who knows, I'll probably end up investing that "extra" time back into the practice, but at least it will be my decision, and will hopefully pay dividends as time goes by.

Aside from the physical and mental drain of the long hours, practicing law part-time in the evenings has some real logistical drawbacks. Scheduling appointments around family events (both mine and clients') is a huge hassle. Often I have had to look three to four weeks out on the calendar to find a workable date. Weekday office hours would make things a lot easier, since there would always be a fixed amount of time that I'd be available to clients - and I can always schedule the odd evening/weekend appointment as needed. Then when I get back to the point where I'm having to schedule appointments four weeks out it will be due to my heavy caseload and/or frequent trips to the French Riviera. Either way, a great problem to have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home