Friday, April 28, 2006

Office (virtual, shared or otherwise)

I've been spending the last few days thinking about where and how I will set up my law office:

Home office - least expensive, but I'm prone to distraction. I also have three kids, and not sure clients would be OK stepping over the Legos to get to my office, or the occasional shout out from the living room to fast forward the program because SpongeBob SquarePants went to commercial.

If I end up working from home, I'll probably find a place that will let me rent a conference room now and then for client meetings. The Contra Costa County Bar Association offers this service, or there are plenty of places around offering virtual office setups which also include phone answering and mail delivery.

Leasing an office has some pluses too - a nice quiet place to work, 24x7 access, and a professional appearance for clients. Having an "office" is very formal and some people will feel more comfortable going to an "office" and not just a house. Although cost is a real issue, strangely enough my #1 concern about this is the isolation of working alone all day long. I've worked in cubicle farms my whole life, and this would be a real culture shock. I'd probably have to sublease an office to another attorney, or see if I can lease a vacant office at an existing firm, just for the company.

===

Got another client referral today, for a matter involving an employment contract. Three clients in three days - I'm officially declaring this my best lawyer week ever. Hopefully the record doesn't stand for long. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home