Saturday, April 01, 2006

Can you practice law part-time?

For the past five months I have been leading two lives. Not exactly Bruce Wayne/Batman stuff, but technical project manager by day/lawyer by night is still a mouthful.

I've read and heard a lot of opinions on part-time law. Almost a half-year into my practice, I'm still not sure where I stand. On the positive side, since my "day job" pays all the bills, I can afford to offer my clients very affordable rates. Also I offer night and weekend appointments - because they're the only times I'm available. Still....

Many people say it can't be done, and I can understand why. A law practice is a business, and running a business takes time. There's marketing, business planning, budgeting, training, paperwork, bills to pay, and that's not even counting the part where you actually get to practice law. In addition, by not spending 8+ hours a day, every day, immersed in your practice area(s) you are not learning as much as someone who practices full time.

With things not "taking off" as fast as I had hoped I am considering my options. That may mean cutting the cord and going solo full-time...or taking a job with a law firm or government agency. Could be some big changes ahead in the near future - stay tuned....

=====


Notes: thanks to my friend Lee Rudnicki for recommending "How to Get Clients", an excellent marketing book for lawyers or other professionals. Go to Amazon.com and buy it now.

Lee is an entertainment lawyer in L.A. and once gave me this advice when I was threatening to move down to Tinseltown to get into his line of work: "Bring nuclear weapons." You can read some of Lee's musings on life, the universe and everything on Blog 7. Consider yourself warned.

1 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger projectsolo said...

Hi Brandon,

I like your blog, I also struggled with a similar situation and ultimatly approached my current (non-legal) employer about converting my full time role to a part time position. They were receptive and I am now starting to work there two days per week, leaving 3 days per week to build my law practice. The risks are that there is no guaranty as to how long they will need me part time (I could have asked for a guranty but I didn't want to make a commitment on my end and they probably would not have commtted to as specific amount of time). When I asked to go part time, however, I was prepared if they said no to take the plunge and go cold turkey and build the practice. There may also be part time opportunities in the legal group at my current employer that I can pursue if the current position does not last.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home