Friday, March 03, 2006

Building things slowly

I got a surprise on Wednesday when one of my freebie clients (wrote them a trust package for free to get the experience) insisted they pay for my time and gave me a check that covers my first year's liability insurance premium. Maybe this law practice is going to be something more than an expensive hobby after all.

I've been spending a lot of time focusing on practice marketing. At the core, what I'm really looking for is the thing that sets my practice apart, so I will know what to promote. As a part-timer with extremely low overhead and a day job that pays the bills, I can price my services affordably and provide value to my clients. I also focus on convenience by meeting my customers in their homes, and being available on nights and weekends. And the free jobs I have done over the past three months have given some insights into ways I can really add value to the estate planning process.

Phase I of my marketing campaign is ready to begin. I just purchased a web domain, http://www.bjwilsonlaw.com, and a website is soon to follow.

=====

Other news of note: I am adding corporate formation to the practice, and I've already got a potential client asking for help incorporating her business. Also, I've been lucky to keep in touch with a friend of mine who practices entertainment law in Los Angeles (his advice to me when I joked about moving down south to join him: "Bring nuclear weapons") who has offered to give me some experience reviewing entertainment contracts. On the volunteer front, I just finished researching the Elder Abuse and Dependent Adult Civil Protection Act for the Elder Law Clinic, and attended a working session on accessible housing put on by Contra Costa for Every Generation.

And finally, glad to note that the Westlaw situation was worked out amicably. Thanks to the fine people at Thomson-West for being reasonable human beings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home