Thursday, December 22, 2005

Gaining Experience

Job interviews are pretty standard. The questions about your past, your experience, generally boil down to one thing. It can be asked in various ways, but the idea is always this: What makes you think you can do this job? The interviewer wants to know what characteristic or experience I have that will enable me to succeed at the task at hand. After much consideration, I believe it comes down to this:

I am terrified of failing.

Don't confuse this with being terrified to make a mistake - two very different things. People who are terrified to make mistakes often become paralyzed to take the next step. I'm focused on the big picture, so I'll take the next step…and the next…and the next…always with an eye on the finish line. Because I don't want to think about quitting, and what that would mean to my self-esteem and my standing in others' eyes, so I will do whatever it takes to finish the job and do it right.

The stakes have been raised considerably now that I have passed the bar exam and taken my oath. Failure now comes at a very high price - literally - which is why malpractice insurance is exceptionally important. With fear as a tremendous motivator, I have been reading everything I can on estate planning, probate law, and tax practice, but even with all the book learning I can get my hands on I will have to put the rubber to the road very soon. And book learning is a very poor substitute for real-world experience.

I wish I had been able to do an internship in law school. JFKU has a strong clinical program, but as a full-time working professional with a wife and two kids to support, I couldn't afford to take the time off work. So how does a person go about getting experience in the real world? How do you find clients willing to work with a green lawyer, and supervisors willing to put up with a raw talent and the mistakes that go along with it?

You guessed it - pro bono work.

I've got the feelers out for a few opportunities. My first move was to contact the State Bar's Pro Bono coordinator, who gave me a lead on opportunities in my region. I also contacted my law school; JFKU started an Elder Law clinic last fall and I figured they might need a hand with their growing caseload. I set up a meeting with the clinic director for early next month.

Also, I am actively looking for a mentor to bounce questions off, review my work, and maybe take referrals for complex matters while I learn the ropes. Teri Cannon, the dean of JFKU's law school, has been really helpful with this effort, and I am also finding programs in the state and county bar associations to pair new lawyers with experienced practitioners.

1 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon -

Great post. Let me share a few ideas.

First, contact CYLA (www.calbar.ca.gov\cyla) and your local rep, who I think is Feb Cabrasawn, who is a great guy. Chat with Feb about the pro bono project that CYLA is working on. And get involved.

Second, at the same website, contact Sean Raft. He is a professor at Santa Clara. He may have some ideas for pro bono work there.

Third, while you are at the CYLA page, email Eric Lifschutz. Eric turned pro bono work into a law career. He has some great tips.

Tell these three I said hi.

Then, contact your county bar and join the lawyer referral service. It will get you cases. Then call your public defender and volunteer. It may not be what you want to do, but you learn how to be a lawyer dang fast in that environment. I am grateful to the Sacramento County PD for giving me some cases.

As for mentors, join solomarketing on Yahoo and put out the word. You should also join the ABA's solosez. You do not have to be an ABA member. You will find 1600 or so mentors. Tell them I said hi.

Now go enjoy your holidays and come back next week ready to go.

Jonathan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home